The bread was named after one of the greatest battles of the world history.
The most fragrant bread I have ever tasted is the Borodinsky bread. It is the most popular kind of bread in the Soviet Union. The history of the Borodino bread remains a mystery. There are a lot of legends on how the Borodinsky bread was created. The most real legend says that the bread was backed by nuns of convent that was situated on the place where was the Borodino battle. So the bread was named after one of the greatest battles of world history.
Borodinsky is a sour-sweet bread with a thick spicy flavor, which has well perceptible note of coriander. In the thirties of the twenties century this bread was known only in Moscow, Russia. And only after a while it became popular in the other cities as well. Although it is a very good bread, it is not appropriate for people who have problems with stomach acidity. Borodinsky bread provides your body with vitamin B and fibers. You can eat this bread even if you want to reduce the amount of carbohydrates in your diet.
3 lbs flour
1.7 ounce dry rye malt
1 spoon liquid dark honey
1 teaspoon salt
0.5 ounce fresh yeast or 0.3 ounce dry yeast
2 spoons ground coriander
1 spoon cumin
15.9 fl oz water
2 spoon vinegar
- Combine the dry rye malt and 3.5 fl oz of water.
- Heat it on the medium heat. When the water is boiling, remove the mixture from the hot oven and leave it to cool for 7-8 minutes. Then stir the brewed malt again and chill it.
- Combine all the remaining water with honey and salt. Stir the mixture very carefully, then combine the brewed malt with the honey water.
- Meanwhile sift all the flour.
- Combine all the liquid ingredients and 1.5 lbs of flour. You should get the mixture as you see in the picture below.
- Leave the dough to rest for 30 minutes. Then put more flour and make a bun from the dough. Put it in the form.
- Leave the bun for 1 -1.5 hours more on the counter table.
- Sprinkle the bun with water and cumin. Preheat oven to 360 °F and put the dough inside for 35 minutes. Check if the Borodinsky bread is ready with the help of a toothpick.
Take the bread and cover it with the towel. Leave it for 10-12 hours. Only after this time the bread is ready to be sliced. You should use only natural ingredients. There should not be any dyes or GMO. It is possible to make this kind of the bread in a bread maker as well, if you have one.
Mix the liquid ingredients with some flour
The bread is ready to be baked