Qistibi Recipe – Simple Flour Dish
The Qistibi is an ancient flour product in the Tatar cuisine (The Turkish-speaking people living in the central regions of the European part of Russia). But it is also cooked by the Bashkir people – the people in Russia, the indigenous population of Bashkiria (Bashkortostan). The recipe of the qistibi is very popular among housewives-beginners. It is impossible to mess up the dish, because it is so simple to prepare. Usually, the dish is served “hot”. Tea goes very well with the qistibi bread.
|Order on Amazon
|Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)
|OXO Good Grips 11-Inch Better Balloon Whisk
|M KITCHEN WORLD Heat Resistant Silicone Spatulas Set
|Reynolds Kitchens Parchment Paper Roll with SmartGrid
|3 boxes of baking paper
|6-Piece Nonstick Oven Bakeware Baking Set
|baking trays set
There are 2 traditional fillings used: mashed potato and millet porridge. Today we will cook the qistibi with mashed potato (puree).
For the dough:
1.7 ounce butter
3.5 fl oz milk, 3.2%
1.1 lbs flour
1 large egg
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
0.3 ounce butter
- Peel the potatoes and boil them in water with salt.
- Mash the potatoes and add butter. Stir it carefully.
- Whisk the eggs with milk, sugar and salt.
- Add the melted butter to the mixture and gradually add the flour.
- Stir the mixture. The dough should be very soft. Separate the dough on the 7 buns. Roll out each bun into a very thin circle (2 mm).
- Fry the circle in the sauce pan without any oil. Cover the fried circle with the wet towel. It will help to protect the qistibi from over-drying.
- When all “circles” are done, take one qistibi from the towel and spread it with the mashed potato (puree). The layer of the puree should be very thin.
- Roll the qistibi on the 2 sides and cover every side with the melted butter.
- Fry it on the sauce pan without adding any additional oil. When it is browned – the qistibi is ready.
You should take only “fresh” dough for qistibi. You cannot take freeze the dough.
The dough should be soft.
It is important to put the qistibi in the towel. It will protect the buns from over-drying.
Prepare the dough by mixing all the ingredients
Make the buns and get ready the dough to be fried
Add the mashed potatoes to the qistibi