Bread is an essential part for any meal for the Slavic people. There are a lot of kinds of bread. The main difference is in the type of flour. Normally, grey flour is used for every day meal. The white wheat flour is used for weekends and holidays.
I want to share with you the recipe of the bread that is baked in my family very often. You will get very a big loaf that isn’t dry for a long time, using the ingredients below.
2.5 fl oz warm water
1 ounce fresh yeast
1 ounce sugar
0.44 lbs. rye flour
1.6 lbs. wheat flour
7.1 fl oz boiling water
2 spoons sunflower oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
- Combine 2.4 ounce of warm water with fresh yeast and stir it very carefully.
- Sift two kinds of flour: white-wheat and rye flour. Put the flour into a bowl.
- Add the sunflower oil to the flour and stir it.
- Take the boiling water and pour it to the flour mixture very fast. Stir it carefully.
- Then add yeast mixture and stir it again.
- Add sugar and salt. Stir the mixture and leave it for 30 minutes to “grow”.
- Then add more flour to the dough. The dough shouldn’t stick to the hands but still be very soft.
- Put it to the bread tray and leave it for 20 minutes more.
- Sprinkle the dough with water.
- Preheat oven to the 340 °F and put the bread inside for 45 minutes. Switch off the oven and leave the bread for 10 minutes then take it from the oven and wait for 10 more minutes.
- Remove the loaf from the bread tray. You can slice the loaf only after 1-1.5 hours.
Tips: The best thing about this bread is that you can make it in any type of tray you like. Also it is possible to use a frying pan if you wish.
The secret of soft bread is in the boiling water. Thanks to it, the bread will look very sumptuous.
Sprinkling the bread with water will help to get the brown crust.