Summer is the season of berries in Ukraine. All my childhood I spent at Poltava Region in the central part of Ukraine. Here, the older people never bought sweet buns, but they tried to make sweet breads with different fillings, using their own recipes.
Today I will share with you one of my favorite recipes, the cherry bread. This type of berry’s bread goes perfectly with a glass of milk.
1 ounce yeast
18 oz of milk
1 teaspoons salt
1.4 lbs of flour
2 large eggs
2 spoons of sunflower oil
2.4 ounce sugar
3.5 ounce of cherries
- Turn on the oven on the medium heat and warm up the milk.
- Add the yeast to the warm milk. Add 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- Sift the flour and add salt in it.
- Put half of the flour in the big bowl and add eggs there. Stir it very carefully. Then add the milk and yeast mixture.
- Leave the dough for 1 hour to rest. Cover it with a towel.
- Remove the towel and add sunflower oil in the bowl with dough. Stir the mixture very carefully.
- You can add as much flour as you need. The main condition is: the dough should be soft!
- Roll out the dough and put the cherries in the dough.
- Sprinkle the cherries with sugar.
- Roll up the dough and sprinkle with a beaten egg.
- Preheat the oven to the 340 °F and cook for 30 minutes. Check if it ready with the help of toothpick.
Don’t use too much sugar – the juice from the cherries can mess up the bread.
It is important to take ripe berries that don’t have sour taste.
Also you can sprinkle the cooked bread with powdered sugar.