“Bread is the head of everything”
I guess this is the most well-known statement for every Russian person. Most precisely, bread takes the most important place for every human in the Russian world. It is the main dish for every event – sad or happy. In old times, women baked bread every day. Every woman had her own secret recipe.
There are two popular kinds of bread: white and grey. I remember from my childhood huge loafs of white-wheat bread. This recipe is passed down from generation to generation in my family. My granny bakes it in a huge oven, but it is possible to make it in a small flat oven too. It is not a problem if you don’t have nice bread trays, you can cook it in fry pan too. Everything you need is a good mood and a strong desire to bake, so let’s get started!
Makes: 1 loaf
Prep time: 10 min
Rise time: 1 hour 55 minutes
Bake time: 35 min
1 ounce yeast
17 oz of water
1 teaspoons salt
1.5 lbs of flour
1 large egg
1.4 oz of sunflower oil
- Take the flour and sift it.
- Turn the oven on medium heat and heat the water. Add the yeast and stir it carefully.
- Add flour in this mixture and stir it. You should have a liquid dough as you can see in the picture.
- Cover it with the towel and leave it for 40 minutes. The mixture should increase two times in volume.
- Mix egg and oil together and add to the dough. Stir it carefully and add more flour. Cover it with the towel and leave it for another 30 minutes.
- Add more flour and leave for 30 minutes more.
- Make a bun from the dough and leave it for 10 minutes more to rest.
- Grease the pan form with oil and put the bread in it. Leave it there for 5 minutes more.
- Preheat oven to 340°F and put the bread inside for 35 minutes. Switch off the oven and leave the bread for 5 minutes to cool before you take it away.
#You can cover the dough with blend egg before baking. This technology will help to get the brownish color on top.
#Always use fresh yeast and be careful with the amount of flour. The dough should stay very soft but should not stick to your hands.