AJDOV KRUH is a Slovenian buckwheat bread.
Buckwheat (lat. Fagopyrum sagittaium), also known as “ the black wheat “ is very nutritious and rich in carbohydrates. 100g of such wheat contains 2,5g grease, 11,7g proteins, 70,7g carbohydrates and it has 351 calorie. It also contains different types of minerals and vitamins like P, Mg, Ca, Na, C, Zn, vitamin E, B. There is also one very important ingredient that helps with the bone development and that is Lysine.
Buckwheat bread has a long tradition in Slovenia because of its taste and because it is easy to prepare. Women of this beautiful European country have made an art from preparing this kind of bread. They have been feeding their families through some tough times, from one war to another, surrounded by occupiers and enemies. They have sent their sons and husbands to defend their homeland with Ajdov kruh, and they have welcomed them back with Ajdov kruh. In war and in peace, they were eating and baking Ajdov kruh. Nowadays, Slovenians have the privilege to be descendants of those brave women and to inherit different recipes for Ajdov kruh bread.
I’ve tasted one with and one without walnuts, and I prefer the second one, so I will write about how to make 1 loaf of this historical bread.
2 cups of buckwheat flour
1/2 cup of sharp white flour
2 ounces of walnuts (chopped)
1 ounce of dry yeast
8.5 fl oz water (for yeast)
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon oil
- Put both types of flour in a bowl together with sugar, salt and oil.
- Make a hole in the middle of your mixture and add the yeast.
- Add chopped walnuts into the mixture.
- Use a wooden spoon, an electric mixer or even your washed hands, and mix everything together to make a dough.
- Leave the dough to rest and grow for 30 min.
- Preheat oven (390F degrees).
- When the dough is well-grown make the loaf and put it in the baking tray and then in the heated oven.
- Bake the bread for 45 minutes.
- The baked loaf needs to cool for about 10 minutes before it is ready to be served.
I hope you will try this healthy bread for your family by using my recipe. You can serve it with jam, honey, and butter, for breakfast with a cup of milk or tea. You can eat it like any other kind of bread.
BON APPETIT! PRIJATNO!