Obwarzanek Krakowski Bread Recipe
Splice bagel is a type of bagel that people of Eastern Europe are making for many events, such as New Years Eve, Christmas, graduations, and birthday parties. In Slovenia, the Obwarzanek krakowski is a traditional pastry for New Years Eve, when the families gather and have dinner together, wishing the best to each other for the coming year. The bagels ‘listen’ to their stories and ‘save’ their secrets for centuries.
I was impressed when I baked my first Obwarzanek krakowski because I thought that it won’t be easy to prepare it. Luckily, I was wrong, so I want to share this recipe with everybody. I hope you will like it too.
4 cups of white wheat flour
1\2 yeast cube
3 teaspoons of sugar
2 teaspoon of salt
cumin or sesame (to taste)
a glass of water
For the glaze:
- Mix the ingredients to form a dough
- Leave the dough to rest and grow for 20 minutes
- Then shape the dough in the form of “snakes” like you see in the picture bellow.
- Take two by two snakes and knit them in a ring.
- Put bagels into a tray and prepare cumin and yolk to add on top.
- Bake for 25 minutes on 420 F. It should look like in the next picture:
Considering that is summer time now, and the New Years Eve is far away, I’ve decided to have a lovely breakfast in my garden with Obwarzanek krakowski and a nice cup of tea.